Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Medical Adventures with Miss Banana: Whammo! She has Pneumonia.

Lately, we've had very few installments of "Medical Adventures with Miss Banana" so I guess I should have known that it was time.

Medical adventures with her are tricky because you just never know when something little will explode into life-threatening illness.  Last week, Miss B was a bit wheezy, but was still acting like her typical toddler self.  We even took her to the beach this past weekend and to the pool yesterday morning.

But then...WHAMMO! I laid her down for her nap after lunch and she slept until 5PM, when I got her up for dinner.  She didn't want to eat at all and her wheezing was worse and she felt warm...so I gave her some Motrin and a breathing treatment, which didn't help at all.  About 45minutes of cuddling her later, I took her temperature and it was 103.3 degrees.  (Where did THAT come from??)

I took her to the ER--and her temp had jumped to 104.5.  A couple of x-rays and a dose of Tylenol later, her temp jumped to a whopping 104.9 and she had confirmed pneumonia.

The scariest though, was the hauntingly blank, lethargic stare on her usually cheerful, bright face.

I hate when my babies are sick--especially Miss B...because with every sickness, especially the sudden onset ones like this, my mind immediately jumps to panic about the possibility of the L-word or heart failure or lungs collapsing.  I know that might sound extreme, but in "Medical Adventures with Miss Banana" land, they are frighteningly likely and real possibilities.

Thank goodness her blood count came back with good results.

After a night full of strong IV antibiotics, plus oral antibiotics, plus breathing treatments, plus continuous Tylenol and Motrin, I am happy to report my girl is doing better--she's currently sleeping, fever-free, in her hospital bed.

Here's hoping this is just a quick blip on her Medical Adventures radar.

7 comments:

Sweet Pea's Mommy said...

Sorry that you had a scare like that, but I'm glad it turned out okay!

Becca said...

Oh, yikes!! So glad she's doing better - that kind of stuff is truly, truly scary.

Cindy said...

So scary! Glad she's doing better.

thingsthatkeepmesane.com said...

I only like the end of this post! You tell Miss Banana to not scare us!

krlr said...

Oh no! Pneumonia is the most frightening (of the many) monsters hiding in my parental closet. Oddly, even moreso than the L-word. And I'm terrified of how FAST they can go from pool to IV antibiotics. Please let us know how she's doing.

Heidi said...

I cannot even begin to imagine what that would be like! I'm so glad she's doing better. She'll definitely be in my prayers.

Kristin said...

Oh no - hope your hospital stay isn't too long. Max did 5 days last month with pneumonia. They tank so quickly!

Related Posts with Thumbnails