Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Summer

For most of the year, I am a scheduled person.  But when the days get longer, my organization skills and well-laid plans seem to melt away as the temperature rises.  I try really hard to stick to the schedule--every year I promise myself that THIS year during the summer, I will still have dinner on the table at 5:30.  THIS year, my kids will be dressed everyday by 8AM.  THIS year, bedtime will be consistently at 8PM, no matter how light it is outside.

And that "firm resolution" lasts all of...um...well....to be honest, I'm not sure that it lasted at all this year.  The first few weeks of summer the kiddos go to bed at 8, then 8:15, then 8:30...until we reach the point we are at now, when we are routinely putting them to bed after a full day of hot summer play at 9:30 or 10 and they are begging to go to sleep. 

This probably makes me some sort of bad parent; but a summer full of playing in the pool, running in the sprinkler, playing at the park, catching fireflies, and eating Popsicles sounds much more fun than being responsible and on time. 










We'll have to catch that "summer schedule" thing next year.



8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Sounds like you're doing it ALL the RIGHT WAY. The only rule of summer is there are NO RULES!!
Keep on enjoying!!
Beautiful pictures.

Courtney said...

Glad you are enjoying your summer! Don't be so hard on yourself- I like routines much better than schedules.

Nicole said...

I have the same problem!

E. Lee said...

Oh yay! I'm so happy that Ms. Banana's "laugh picture" made the blog! These photos look great--with all this fun, I wouldn't be sticking to a schedule, either.

Angela O said...

People have schedules in the summer?? ;) Sounds like you're doing it right--having fun and letting the kids be kids is what it's all about!

Emily said...

Bad parent? Nah... fun parent! Way to go to give them a fun summer!

Anonymous said...

She's getting so big! love these pictures.... man she's a cutie! I see our schedule going out the window too! yay summer!

Tracy said...

Miss Banana and the boys are too cute! And as for that bad parent thing...count me in! Ours are in bed by about ten pm too! It makes for sleeping in and happy kids! Isn't that what a good parent does, raise happy kids?

Related Posts with Thumbnails