Thursday, August 6, 2009

Early Intervention Straight Talk and T-Man Starts Kindergarten

Today we met our new Service Coordinator...a man named Richard who's son is 17 and has Ds--they were the first family to go through our area's EI program, which, at that time, was awful. So Richard filed formal complaints with the state for not helping his son and got things changed. In the process of getting everything changed, the state asked him to just be in charge of the program, so he went from being an industrial engineer to a service coordinator for Early Intervention. How cool is that? Anyway, I really think I'm going to like this guy because he has been through it all and seems so willing to hold our hand through the whole process of getting signed up for services and who to talk to, where to go, what to watch for, etc. Plus, he's a pretty funny guy--which always makes two hours of paperwork go much much faster. Quote of the day from Richard (in a thick southern accent), "People always say it takes a special parent to raise a special child. Shooot, I don't feel like I'm special and I don't wanna be special, I just wanted a baby."

T-Man started kindergarten today and I'm proud of the fact that Dr. Corn and I were able to get all three kiddos dressed, fed, and out the door by 7:07AM in order to get T-Man to school by 7:30. That's got to be some sort of record! I've got to figure out what to do about the carpool lane though...we were in line to pick him up at 2:45, and didn't actually get him in the van until 3:20. Rediculous? I think so! He seemed to enjoy his first day, he earned three "star sticks" which he can use at the end of the week to buy something from the class treasure box. Other than leaving his brand-new lunch box at school, he came home whole and happy, and I didn't cry at all. Pretty good I think!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Our EI program (called First Steps here) has been the best thing that has happened to us through this whole thing. They just kind of set you up with everything--which is awesome cause sometimes in the beginning you're not sure what to ask for. I'm so glad you got a good coordinator...that is an awesome story he has and it is wonderful to have someone who knows how to advocate for their child on your side.

The Mussertons said...

It sounds like T man handled kindergarten well! :) Is Fearless looking forward to preschool? I have such mixed feelings about the whole thing... That is a really inspirational story about the EI service coordinator. What a great welcome to the program. How are you guys settling in to the south?

Strawberry Momma said...

Yeah, that sounds about right for school pick up. :{ I have done it at three different schools and have yet to find one that is flawless.

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad you've got a coordinator that you like and who has so much priceless experience. You've got a beautiful family, btw.

Related Posts with Thumbnails