Thursday, March 13, 2008

Pinewood Dirty

For our triward combined activity this month, the youth held a pinewood derby. Our YW had an extra car kit, and since as a young girl I never got to carve a car out of a block of wood and then race it, I thought I'd get in touch with my inner Cub Scout and make a car. It sounded like fun to start, but because we had limited tools (my friend's very small handsaw) it quickly grew tiresome to me and Dr. Corn took over. Thank heaven for a husband that used to be in Cub Scouts!

T-Man and Fearless got to help too, which they absolutely loved. Although, apparently "derby" is a hard word to say, so even after much coaching, T-Man still calls the cars his "Pinewood Dirty Cars". Some of my YW didn't get to make cars, so I let them borrow some of Dr. Corn's from his Cub Scout years. In all then, Dr. Corn really had 4 cars racing, and he did a great job--his cars placed 3, 4, 5 and 8 or 9 (not sure) out of about 20.




This is a picture of T-Man playing with the cars...The red one is the one Dr. Corn just made for me, the other 3 are from 1988, '89, and '90. Aren't they great? Dr. Corn's old ones are exactly the same, except for the paint color and the stickers...one year it was green/NY Jets, one year red/Oakland Raiders and one year blue/Denver Broncos. Can you tell what sport Dr. Corn paid attention to as a child?
T-Man went with me to the activity; I thought he would think it was fun, but in the end, he just wanted to hold the cars, not actually watch them race. "Mommy, I don't want to see the Pinewood Dirty, I just want to hold my Pinewood dirty cars!!" I guess the competition (and the "rb" sound) are not his thing!
These are some of my fabulous Young Women, waiting for their cars to race!


Here our some of our cars in the finals--I think it was the Jets (or Chick Hicks as T-Man called it) against "Lightning McQueen."

2 comments:

abi said...

Go Lightning! I always wanted to do the scout stuff when I was a young woman, i.e. they always went camping. It wasn't fair that we had to do stuff like self defense class.

Kate said...

Okay so i think you should probably take the picture of me OFF!! its gonna make someone blind!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails