Sunday, September 20, 2009

The point

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about my blog--you can probably tell because I've been changing backgrounds, layouts, etc constantly! Even more than all that, I've been thinking about the whole point of it. In the beginning, this blog was supposed to be a way to share pictures and stories of the boys with family and friends, to keep an online scrapbook of sorts--a "mommy blog" as it's referred too. But after we received Miss Banana's diagnosis, I'd been thinking about changing it...making it more of an advocacy blog--with info about Down syndrome and my thoughts/experiences with people. I am so inspired by the other wise parents that blog about Down syndrome and I hope that I can inspire others as well. As I pondered that idea for awhile, I decided that wouldn't be fair to the boys to have them ignored and I know that some of my readers aren't that interested in my thoughts on Down syndrome, so I put that idea on the back burner, and haven't posted as much about Down syndrome as I would have liked. Then I thought, maybe I should just set up a second blog with all my Down syndrome ideas...which I almost did. But the more I thought about that, the more that didn't sit well with me either. The whole point of advocating for Miss Banana is to have her included, so setting up a separate blog to talk about her and her extra chromosome seemed counterproductive. And so in the end, I have decided that the whole point of my blog is: All of the Above. Miss Banana's diagnosis didn't change the need for people to see pictures and have updates about our daily lives, it just added a little bit more to what I need to blog about. Miss Banana's life isn't seperate from mine or Dr. Corn's or T-Man's or Fearless'...our lives are inextricably connected--to divide our stories and experiences with her from the rest of our goings on, would be impossible. And so my blog will continue as before, although now, there will be a little bit more. My blog will still update family and friends but there will also be a little bit more of ways and ideas to promote inclusion and acceptance of my daughter, to provide hope to new mothers receiving their baby's diagnosis of Down syndrome, to show how we work together, we play together, we struggle together, we learn together. And most importantly for everyone to know that throughout it all, we are a family! And that my friends, is the point.

8 comments:

Scubadiver said...

I personally love your blog. I wish I was closer so that I could meet miss banana in person... and see how your boys have grown and see the clarity in your eyes as you discover the true meaning of life. Dont change a thing...It's a great way for use to be part of your life -long distance.

The Sanchez Family said...

Sounds like a perfect conclusion! My blog is kinda the same thing. It was inspired by Joaquin and focuses mostly on him and DS and our journey but it includes all of us in the family so it is OUR blog. Love yours!!!

Adrienne said...

When I first found out about Bennett I started looking at blogs and seeing how kids with DS fit right in with their families. For me it was seeing them with their family, interacting and just living a normal life. So I think it's good to include Miss Banana just like you would any other child and talk about her some and talk about your boys some and just let others see that life is not over just because you have a baby with DS. Life goes on with maybe a little more appts. and such but you'll adjust and so will the rest of your family.

The Mussertons said...

I was afraid you were going to stop blogging! I am glad you are still going to be around and I know you will do a great job with your blogging goals. :) Oh and I can't get over how grown up Fearless looks, I am still wondering how our babies are in preschool. Our youngest babies are growing up far too fast. Blogging is a great way to preserve all those wonderful times.

Strawberry Momma said...

I think you are right to have one blog and include all your thoughts on everything. You wouldn't start a new blog about T-Man's big toe.

And I for one want to hear your thoughts and views so I can share them with my children. You are not only Miss Banana's advocate, but I see you as a teacher that can help the rest of us raise more caring and accepting children.

Nicole said...

I agree 100%. We want to read about everything and the fact that you have the boys affects Miss Banana and how she grows and develops. Good for you.

Kristen said...

I had the same struggle for a bit and came to the same conclusion. I could make it seperate, but that wouldn't make sense, cause this IS our life now...and blogging about it all together helps me tell myself I'm okay with that. Plus...I like being able to go to one place to find out all the stuff at once. ;)

abi said...

Thank you for this! I actually was just thinking about this because of what we are going through right now (see my recent blog post), and how much I want to be an advocate (even though, I feel like that is a far away goal for me at this point). Thanks for reminding me that it is OK for this to be OUR life, and it is about all of us.

Related Posts with Thumbnails